Recently, the SF Signal posted a blog post on which Sci Fi books make up a perfect library. While that is a tall order and up to much discussion, I thought I would give my "must reads" based upon what I have read and liked. It is my opinion alone.
Since most of what I read are "series" or multiple volume books, I am keeping it to this vs. stand alone books.
Here are my Science Fiction Series: (In no particular order)
- Revelation Space - Alastair Reynolds
- Saga of Pliocene Exile - Julian May
- Honor Harrington Series - David Weber
- Deathstalker Series - Simon R Green
- The Demon Princes -Jack Vance
- Dorsai/Childe Cycle - Gordon R Dickson
- Old Man's War series - John Scalzi
- Foundation/Galactic Empire/Robot Series - Issac Asimov
- Dune Series - Frank Herbert
- Dragonriders of Pern Series - Anne McCaffrey
- Vorkosigan Saga/Adventures - Lois McMaster Bujold
- Saga of the Skolian Empire - Catherine Asaro
- Heechee Saga - Frederik Pohl
- Ringworld Saga - Larry Niven
- Rama Series - Arthur C Clarke
- Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe
- Sunset Warrior Series - Eric Van Lustabader
- Lensman Series - EE Doc Smith
- Faded Sun Trilogy - CH Cherryh
Here are my Fantasy Series: (In no particular order)
- Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
- Earthsea Trilogy/Cycle - Ursula K LeGuin
- The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordon
- Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
- A Song of Ice and Fire - George RR Martin
- Elric Saga - Michael Moorcock
- Xanth Series - Anthony Piers
- Shannara Series - Terry Brooks
- Lynoneese Series - Jack Vance
- Deryni Series - Katherine Kurtz
- Memory, Sorrow and Thorn - Tad Williams
- Belgariad & Mallorean Series - David Eddings
- Thomas Covenant Chronicals - Stephen R Donaldson
- Chronicals of Narnia - CS Lewis
- Horseclans - Robert Adams
I have to mention one more author with loosely connected books, Robert Heinlein. You can not miss with Heinlein.
There are many many more I love, but I tried to limit to under 20 for both. I would provide this list to any who are interested in starting down a SciFi or Fantasy path. As you can see from my list, there is one author on both lists - Jack Vance.
What are the series you love?
Completed Stephen R. Donaldson's Fatal Revenant last night. It ended similar to the prior book with the introduction of Thomas Covenant. Not sure how many times he can do that.... but overall, it was a very satisfying book.
Now on to Alastair Reynolds Galactic North, which is a compilation of short stories, all of which take place in the Revelation Space universe. Alastair happens to be my favorite current author, and Revelation Space is my favorite series.